Nearly Ready for Battle

My snowtrooper costume is nearly complete. There’s just a little more weathering to do and a few minor alterations to make here and there.

Snowtrooper costume - Oct 30, 2018

The interior electronics will still take a bit more time, however. I really need to rig up the small cooling fans in the helmet; it just gets too hot too fast while wearing it.

Seriously: you pretty much need to be running around in arctic weather in order to not immediately overheat in this get-up.

Nearly Ready for Deployment

I finished the last major component of my snowtrooper costume the other day. The belt pouches are finally done.

I had tried to sew them myself, but the two small sewing machines I had were nowhere near powerful enough to push through the fabric I used, so, as with the duster, my mom helped me out there. I did attach the belt loops by hand, though. Sewing through four layers of duck cloth by hand is a bit irritating, but at least I didn’t break any needles like I did with the velcro I attached to other parts of the costume.

At this point, I have all the armor pieces weathered. I only really need to finish weathering the duster, pants, and now these pouches. I may still want to improve on the straps I put together to hold up the backpack, but that’ll pretty much be it for the cosmetics of the costume itself and it’ll be ready for some proper photos.

I’ll still be adding small cooling fans inside the helmet and a voice modulator in the chest. I’ve also been considering creating some sort of cooling vest. It gets pretty warm wearing that costume indoors for any length of time (especially under the helmet).

I’m also thinking of maybe coming up with some sort of external microphone & earbuds solution for making it easier to hear from inside the helmet. You’re half-blind and half-deaf with that thing on.

Snowtrooper Progress

My snowtrooper costume is nearing completion. At this point I have most of the weathering done. I still need to weather the duster, pants, and belt packs and then touch up the armor pieces and webbing and whatnot.

Once I have all the weathering done and after doing a final check over everything, I will then submit photos for membership into the 501st Legion. After that I’ll rig up the electronics inside the suit (i.e. the voice changer and helmet fans).

I still might try to come up with a solution for the problem of not being able to hear well inside the helmet. I also have an idea for a cooling system that will help make the costume more bearable should I need to wear it indoors for an extended period of time, like at a convention or something.

The costume will be done this winter.

Snowtrooper Update

Progress on my snowtrooper costume has been very slow these past few months. However, the largest hurdle has been overcome, and things should hopefully be picking up speed.

I painted the details on the backpack with enamel paint. It still needs a little touching up here and there, but it’s mostly good to go.

painting-2

backpack

Pants have also been purchased.  I had to go to a specialty uniform store to get the right kind of pants without a zipper or side pockets.

pants

 

The thing that stalled progress for the longest time was the duster.

A few months ago I went to my parent’s place to get my mom to help me with the sewing.  I had purchased a pattern for a simple coat that was pretty close to what I needed.  I figured we could start with that and make any minor adjustments as required.

Unfortunately the pattern was just a bit too complicated.  We realized the duster would actually be pretty simple to make if we just made a sort of plain shirt and sewed a skirt onto it.  So, I cut up a t-shirt to act as a template for cutting the real cloth in order to get the right dimensions, and we (well, mostly my mom) sewed it all together.

duster_0duster_1duster_2

Several hours, many broken threads, and one busted sewing machine needle later we had a finished duster. Sadly, the first duster didn’t turn out quite right.  The skirt was too short, the sleeves too loose, and we discovered the front flaps could have been done a but better.

A second attempt was made about two months later.  This time all the shortcomings were corrected.  I also bought tougher thread, and we used velcro strips that didn’t have a sticky backing, which is what caused so many headaches the first time.

The end result of this second attempt was perfect!

duster_completeduster_front

The most difficult part of the costume — the long, flowing coat — is now done.

esb_ss

Another Blaster

I just picked up my “stunt” E-11 blaster.  This one is made of solid plastic and is much more rugged than the blaster I posted about earlier, which is intended more for display.  This is the one I’ll actually carry around when I’m in costume, because this won’t break if I drop it.  I’ll probably be carrying it around the house for the next few days, too.

E-11 Blaster (stunt)This particular version of the E-11 is the one depicted in The Empire Strikes Back, as opposed to the previous one which is the version of the blaster as seen in A New Hope.  Aside from some very minor bits, the main differences are that the ESB version lacks the shot counter box on the left side and the two cylinders atop the magazine receiver.  It also has a slightly different scope.

 

So Uncivilized…

I have acquired an E-11 blaster rifle for my snowtrooper costume:E-11 Blaster RifleE-11 Blaster - movie shotThe actual props in the movie were made from modified Sterling L2A3 submachine guns.  The replica I have (which is made of resin, plastic, and aluminum) is made from molds take from original props and contains many little details that clearly show the prop was a modified real firearm.

In fact, actual firearms served as the basis for pretty much every blaster weapon from the original Star Wars trilogy (save for the scout trooper pistol and maybe some other background weapons).