Nearly Ready for Deployment

I finished the last major component of my snowtrooper costume the other day. The belt pouches are finally done.

I had tried to sew them myself, but the two small sewing machines I had were nowhere near powerful enough to push through the fabric I used, so, as with the duster, my mom helped me out there. I did attach the belt loops by hand, though. Sewing through four layers of duck cloth by hand is a bit irritating, but at least I didn’t break any needles like I did with the velcro I attached to other parts of the costume.

At this point, I have all the armor pieces weathered. I only really need to finish weathering the duster, pants, and now these pouches. I may still want to improve on the straps I put together to hold up the backpack, but that’ll pretty much be it for the cosmetics of the costume itself and it’ll be ready for some proper photos.

I’ll still be adding small cooling fans inside the helmet and a voice modulator in the chest. I’ve also been considering creating some sort of cooling vest. It gets pretty warm wearing that costume indoors for any length of time (especially under the helmet).

I’m also thinking of maybe coming up with some sort of external microphone & earbuds solution for making it easier to hear from inside the helmet. You’re half-blind and half-deaf with that thing on.