A good friend of mine gifted me the perfect “alternative artwork” card for an X-wing miniature I painted up last year. The ship I painted is a Kihraxz Fighter, and I painted it up with the old crimson and navy blue color scheme used by the terrorist organization from the old G.I. Joe toys and comics, Cobra.
In the X-wing Miniatures game there is a pilot for that particular ship who goes by the name Talonbane Cobra. I don’t recall whether or not this fact inspired me to paint that particular ship in “Cobra colors” (I don’t recall it doing so, but it probably did — at least on a subconscious level).
Anyway, some other X-wing Miniatures aficionado must have also been a Cobra fan, because someone made up an alt-art game card for that particular pilot and then had a bunch of them printed up professionally on actual card stock. A friend of mine snagged a copy at the X-wing Regional Championship earlier this month as a gift for me.
The artwork appears to have been done by Paul La Rue. I don’t know if he was commissioned to create the card or if he is a fan of the game himself (I suspect the latter, judging by the rest of his artwork on his site). Check out his site if you want to see more great alt-art card for the X-wing Miniatures game.
Not content with ruling the entire world, Cobra Commander has set his sights on outer space! Piloted by highly trained Star-Vipers, this new fighter — Codenamed Nemesis — extends Cobra Command’s grasp to the stars.
I painted a Kihraxz fighter from the X-wing Miniatures Game over the past couple of days. I wanted to come up with a color scheme that would look nice, and it occurred to me to try the common colors used in a lot of old Cobra vehicles from the early 80s G.I. Joe toy line. I think it turned out rather well.
The Cobra insignias on the side didn’t turn out as well as I’d like. I created them using water-slide decal paper I purchased for my laser printer. The decal material is very thin and transparent, and the dark blue background of the ship overpowered the thin layer of toner that was printed onto it. To remedy this I tried to hand-paint parts of the Cobra symbol so that they would show through the decal. It worked quite well, but my estimates on the size of the logos was not quite spot on.
Original paint job:
“Cobra” paint job: I wish my smartphone could take better quality photos. So much of the detail is lost in these images.
I like this color scheme and I may try it out on more ships.
Recently I put up some photos of a HWK-290 repaint I did. After showing some photos of it to others it was pointed out to me that the rear fins have engines on them. So, I had to add more engine glow there:
A-wings are one of my favorite ships from Star Wars. In the X-wing Miniatures game, there are two paint schemes for the A-wing: red and blue. A while back I painted up a green-themed A-wing. Last week I finished up a yellow-themed one. I really weathered this one up, too – maybe too much so. Meh. I guess it’s just seen a lot of action.
Working with yellow in my previous “Camaro A-wing” was a real pain, but I think I got the hang of painting yellow properly now. As advised by others, I painted bright white the areas I eventually wanted to paint yellow. The yellow paint worked really well when applied over top the white.
“Rainbow Squadron” is coming along nicely. (Note: The blue and red ones are the factory-painted ones) I guess an orange and a purple one are next.
A couple of people have asked me about the dimensions of the Death Star Trench playmat I made a year ago. The image below shows the board both flat (with all measurements labelled) and with the trench folded down (with width measurement labelled only).
The board is made up of three separate pieces: two identical side pieces and one center piece.
The two side pieces are each made of one 20″x30″ board taped to another 20″x20″ board, resulting in a foldable 20″x50″ board.
The center piece is made of one 18″x30″ board taped to another 18″x20″ board, resulting in a foldable 18″x50″ board. The center piece was also scored lengthwise into three, equal sized, 6″ wide segments. These segments can then be folded to make a trench 6″ deep with 6″ high walls.
After the boards were all cut, taped, and scored, I printed out multiple pages of the Warscapes: Star Base Trench-Run PDF and used a high tack spray adhesive to affix the pages to the board. I stupidly tried using white glue at first, but the glue severely warped the boards after it dried. The spray adhesive just left a sticky surface to which the pages stuck nicely. To help place the printed pages, I used an extra-thick marker to draw a grid onto the board where the edges of each page would be. This black line also helped hide gaps between the sheets.
To raise the side boards to give depth for the trench, I just bought several plastic containers that were about the right height. You could use books or whatever.
The turbolasers were made out of this “paper-craft” turbolaser printed onto cardstock. The barrels of the turbolasers were made with spray-painted straws.