It’s been a while since I last looked into writing programs for the Atari 2600. The last thing I was messing with was drawing a sort of castle onto the screen. I was having a bit of trouble with that and my interest eventually just petered out.
I recently returned to this project and got the castle to draw nicely. I then added a sky and grass to the background, then I added some fancy shading to the grass. Here’s a screenshot of what I have so far:
I would like to eventually use this as the basis for some sort of game. The idea currently swimming in my head is to have the player control a ballista inside the castle which he could move to the left and right. Dragons would fly across the screen in the sky and the player would have to shoot them.
The dragons would vary in color, with certain colored dragons being faster than others. The dragons would also shoot fireballs down at the player. If possible, it would be cool to add swooping dragons as well.
We’ll see if any of that ends up happening.
I’m experimenting with drawing sprites right now (sprites are things that can move, like the player for example). I’ve managed to get the player 1 sprite to display, but it’s not anything usable for a game yet.
I’m optimistic that I can get a moveable player on the screen soon. I’m a little worried that the sprite logic might force me to simplify the color gradient for the grass — processing power is very limited on the Atari.
I’ll probably post the source code for this program once I have a moveable player implemented.