Progress on my snowtrooper costume has been very slow these past few months. However, the largest hurdle has been overcome, and things should hopefully be picking up speed.
I painted the details on the backpack with enamel paint. It still needs a little touching up here and there, but it’s mostly good to go.
Pants have also been purchased. I had to go to a specialty uniform store to get the right kind of pants without a zipper or side pockets.
The thing that stalled progress for the longest time was the duster.
A few months ago I went to my parent’s place to get my mom to help me with the sewing. I had purchased a pattern for a simple coat that was pretty close to what I needed. I figured we could start with that and make any minor adjustments as required.
Unfortunately the pattern was just a bit too complicated. We realized the duster would actually be pretty simple to make if we just made a sort of plain shirt and sewed a skirt onto it. So, I cut up a t-shirt to act as a template for cutting the real cloth in order to get the right dimensions, and we (well, mostly my mom) sewed it all together.
Several hours, many broken threads, and one busted sewing machine needle later we had a finished duster. Sadly, the first duster didn’t turn out quite right. The skirt was too short, the sleeves too loose, and we discovered the front flaps could have been done a but better.
A second attempt was made about two months later. This time all the shortcomings were corrected. I also bought tougher thread, and we used velcro strips that didn’t have a sticky backing, which is what caused so many headaches the first time.
The end result of this second attempt was perfect!
The most difficult part of the costume — the long, flowing coat — is now done.